31st of October - 0.0 miles

Having finished, I found it unsettling to be still, and could neither lie down, nor rest. I wandered stiff and awkward around the camp, aimlessly looking for someone to commiserate with. I found the internet tent open and checked email. A message from mom and I started to well up. After a good emotional cry, I was able to hobble back to the tent and rest for a couple of hours.
Everyone was up by 8, the sun already steaming up the stench in the tent. Rest was not a big part of the equation – It was to be a day of socializing with a hint of lazy celebration in what we have just accomplished – at least it felt as if we should rejoice.

We wandered around, shared stories, and learned how others had fared during the long night. We greeted the latecomers as they came in through the morning and into the afternoon.
And when the locals came around with bread, chips and soda for sale, the feast began. I had no Egyptian money with me, but the others in the tent bought food for the group. In fact, much of the camp was doing it. I knew it was against the rules, but having finished 250km in 5 days (the last 5k held back for the seventh day), we felt that the race was done and began the party.
The day ended with gifts of paper, pencils and Frisbees for the local children, and a Bedouin honey cake for all. The chairs and tables gone, everyone gravitated towards their tents and again went to bed early. I decided to sleep under the stars with Anna, Alex and Andreas as it was the last chance to see the Milky Way in all its glory before the trip back into Cairo at 4am. (One of the other Korean competitors caught a deadly scorpion only 30 meters away from where we slept in the open sand.)

No comments:
Post a Comment